Business and Tourism Visas (B1/B2)

Most applicants applying for a nonimmigrant visa are temporary visitors coming to the United States for business or pleasure. “B-1” visas are issued to temporary visitors for business and short-term training; “B-2” visas are issued to temporary visitors for pleasure.

The key to understanding this visa category is the temporary nature of the travel. Business people use B visas for negotiating contracts, attending exhibitions and conferences, short-term training, and consultations with suppliers and customers, etc. Tourists use B visas for sightseeing, visiting friends and relatives, or obtaining medical treatment.

B visas are not valid for employment in the United States.

Applicants for B visas must demonstrate their intention to enter the U.S. for a temporary period, solely for the purpose of tourism and/or short-term business. Applicants must also demonstrate sufficient funds to cover travel expenses during their stay in the U.S.; as well as sufficient social, economic, and other ties to their home country to compel the applicant to return after a temporary and lawful visit.

Required documentation

Suggested Documentation

Suggested documentation can vary depending on the applicant’s personal situation. The following are mere suggestions that may help the officer to assess your intentions to return to Croatia and your ability to cover travel expenses. This not an exhaustive list of what applicants should present at their interview, and you should only bring them if they are applicable to your current situation.

NOTE:  These documents may or may not be reviewed at the time of your interview

  • Passports containing all previous U.S. visas, even if expired
  • Birth certificate
  • Proof of Finances
    • Bank statements
    • Tax documents
  • Proof of Employment
    • Company letter stating salary and position held
    • Pay slips
    • Work contract
  • Proof of Education (Studentski index or prijepis ocjena)
  • Proof of permanent residence in Croatia if not a Croatian national (Dozvola za boravak)
  • Proof of property ownership
  • For children under 18:
    • Birth certificate
    • Original notarized declaration from parents giving permission for child to travel to U.S. For children between the ages of 14 and 18, it is strongly recommended that one parent accompany the child to the visa interview.

Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant’s residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a nonimmigrant tourist visa. If you do choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember that it is not one of the factors that we use in determining whether to issue or deny a nonimmigrant tourist visa.

The above items should not be considered an exhaustive list and presentation of these documents does not guarantee visa issuance.  Be prepared to explain to the visa officer and present evidence regarding why you are going to the U.S. and why you will return to Croatia.

U.S. Immigration law presumes all applicants to be an intending immigrant; we can never guarantee the issuance of a visa in advance of application. However, applicants who follow the instructions on the website carefully and pay attention to whether their personal situation currently qualifies for a temporary visa to the United States increase their likelihood of receiving a visa.

For additional information, please see these Frequently Asked Questions.

B1 Service Engineers

If the engineer(s) will install service or repair commercial or industrial equipment or machinery sold by a foreign company to a buyer in the United States, and the purchase contract requires that foreign company provide such services, then the B-1 visa is appropriate. However, in such cases, the engineer(s) must possess the specialized knowledge essential to perform the services, receive no remuneration from a U.S. source, and the company must not receive any payment for these services in addition to that specified in the original contract of sale. If the proposed activities are not exactly as described, temporary work (H-2) visas will be required. Please note that the B-1 visa does not cover building or construction work, even if the purchase contract requires that the company provide such services. In such cases, the employees must always qualify for H-2 visas.

The B-1 visa is also appropriate for engineers traveling to the United States to train U.S. personnel in the installation, service or repair of commercial or industrial equipment or machinery as specified above. The individuals concerned must continue to be paid by a foreign company and the contract of sale must specifically require the seller to provide such services.