Victims of Crime

Call 112 immediately if you are having a medical emergency or have been a victim of a serious crime here in Croatia.

If you are a victim of crime in a foreign country, it can be a devastating and traumatic experience.  While no one can undo the emotional trauma, physical injury, or financial loss you may have experienced, our Special Consular Services Section in Croatia is ready to help you manage the practical consequences of being a crime victim.  We can provide you with information about the local criminal justice system and finding appropriate medical care.  We can also contact family or friends on your behalf.

Our Special Consular Services Section can:

Consular officials cannot, however, investigate crimes, provide legal advice or represent you in court, serve as official interpreters or translators, or pay legal, medical, or other fees for you.

If you are the victim of a crime in Croatia:

  • If you are in danger or require immediate assistance, please contact the local Croatian police to report the incident and get immediate help by dialing 112.  Request a copy of the police report.
  • Contact the U.S. Embassy in Zagreb by calling +385 1 661 2200, we are available 24 hours per day to assist you.
  • To contact the Department of State in the U.S. call 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or (202) 501-4444 (from overseas).

If you are a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, following are some of the local NGO resources in Croatia:

  • The Autonomous Women’s House in Zagreb provides shelter and assistance for women and children who are victims of domestic violence (tel: +385-1-0800-55-44, email:
  • Women’s Help Now – SOS Line for Women and Children Victims of Violence provides assistance for victims of domestic violence (tel: from Croatia call: 0800-655-222 or +385-1-4658-389, email:
  • Children can call Hrabi telephone (brave telephone) if they are experiencing abuse and neglect at 1 16 111 or reach out to
  • The Women’s Room in Zagreb assists female sexual assault victims (tel: +385-1-6119-174, email:
  • B.a.B.e. provides legal assistance to victims and can help victims through the judicial process (tel: 0800-200-144 or +385-1-4611-351, email: