If you are the victim of a crime in Croatia:
- If you are in danger or require immediate assistance, please contact the local Croatian police to report the incident and get immediate help by dialing 112. Request a copy of the police report.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Zagreb by calling +385 1 661 2200, we are available 24 hours per day to assist you.
- To contact the Department of State in the U.S. call 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or (202) 501-4444 (from overseas).
If you are a victim of crime in a foreign country, it can be a devastating and traumatic experience. While no one can undo the emotional trauma, physical injury, or financial loss you may have experienced, we are ready to help you manage the practical consequences of being a crime victim. We can provide you with information about the local criminal justice system and finding appropriate medical care. We can also contact family or friends on your behalf.
How we can help victims of crime:
- We can replace your lost/stolen passport
- Help you find appropriate medical care if you are injured
- Contact your family, friends, or employers
- Find shelter, food, or clothing
- Provide a list of English-speaking Attorneys (PDF 392 KB)
- Provide a list of English-speaking doctors in Croatia (PDF 470 KB)
- Provide information about crime victim assistance resources in your state of residence if you are returning to the U.S.
What we cannot do:
- Investigate crimes
- Provide legal advice or represent you in court
- Serve as official interpreters or translators, or
- Pay legal, medical, or other fees for you.
If you are a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, the following are some of the local NGO resources in Croatia:
- The Autonomous Women’s House in Zagreb provides shelter and assistance for women and children who are victims of domestic violence (tel: +385-1-0800-55-44, email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Women’s Help Now – An emergency hotline that provides assistance for women and children victims of domestic violence (tel: from Croatia call: 0800-655-222 or +385-1-4658-389, email: email@example.com).
- Children can call Hrabri telefon (Brave Telephone) if they are experiencing abuse and neglect at 116-111 and parents can call 0800-0800.
- The Women’s Room in Zagreb assists female sexual assault victims (tel: +385-1-6119-174, email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- B.a.B.e. (Be Active, Be Emancipated) provides legal assistance to victims and can help victims through the judicial process (tel: 0800-200-144 or +385-1-4611-351, email: email@example.com).