Renew a U.S. Passport for a Minor Child

Please follow the instructions on this page if:

  • You (or your child) are under the age of 16; and
  • You are able to submit the applicant’s most recent passport with the application.

If the above applies to you, please apply for renewal as follows:

Make an Appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Zagreb

Please note that both parents need to be present and give their consent in order for a passport to be issued.  If there are extenuating circumstances that prevent both parents from appearing together, the absent parent must sign and submit Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16. Click here to schedule your appointment.

Please Bring the Following Documents

  • Completed passport application DS-11.  Please do not sign the application for your child, you will be asked to do it in front of a consular officer.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship: Previous U.S. passport; or a certified birth certificate; or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or a Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship.
  • Present evidence of the child’s relationship to parents/guardians (for minors under age 16): Certified U.S. birth certificate (with parents’ names); or a certified foreign birth certificate (with parents’ names and translation, if necessary); or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parents’ names); or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) (with parents’ names); or Adoption Decree (with adopting parents’ names); or a court order establishing custody; or a court order establishing guardianship.
  • Parental identification (for minors under age 16). Each parent or guardian must submit one of the following: Valid driver’s license; or a valid official U.S. Military ID; or a valid U.S. Government ID; or a valid U.S. or foreign passport with recognizable photo; or a naturalization/citizenship certificate from USCIS with recognizable photo; or an Alien Resident Card from USCIS.
  • Photos: Please submit two identical color photos taken within the past 6 months, 2″ X 2″ (5 cm x 5 cm) size with white or off-white background. Digital photos are not generally acceptable. There is a photo machine in the waiting room of the consular section which can take photos for a fee of 40 Kuna (payable in Kuna only).
  • Fee: The fee for a passport for a minor child is $115. Payment may be made in U.S. Dollars, Croatian Kuna or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Diners Club). Personal checks are not accepted.