Applying for a U.S. passport abroad is a different process from applying for one in the United States. The application forms, required documentation, and costs are the same, but the procedures for submitting your documents is different. We have outlined these below for each service.
We encourage you to use our Passport Wizard to determine exactly what passport service you require (in person or mail-in), to fill out and print your application electronically, and to see a list of required documents. After completing the wizard, please return to this page for the specific steps required to submit your application at the consular section of the U.S. Embassy in Zagreb. Completing your application online and printing it will help with timely and accurate processing.
- Starting November 1, 2016, eye glasses will no longer be allowed in U.S. passport photos. Click here to learn more.
- You must include your social security number on your application. If you do not do so after November 15, 2016, your application will be returned to you. If you have questions regarding this requirement, please see our FAQs. You can contact our Federal Benefits Unit to learn how to apply for an SSN at 01-661-2272 or you can click here for detailed information.
- While entering an emergency contact address, choosing any state from the drop-down menu will allow you to enter a non-US address in the other fields.
Reminder: You must appear personally at the Embassy if:
- You are applying for your first passport
- You are replacing a lost or stolen passport
- Your last passport was issued before you were 16 years old
- It has been more than 15 years since your last passport was issued
- You are applying for an emergency passport (for immediate travel)
- You are applying for a child under the age of 16
- You are replacing a damaged passport
If you are required to appear in person at the U.S. Embassy in Zagreb, you will need to make an appointment by clicking here.
Otherwise, please submit your application by mail.
The unit is closed to the public on U.S. and Croatian public holidays. More information can be found by selecting your specific passport service from the menu at the bottom of this page.