Entry and Residence Requirements

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

Short Trips for Business or Tourism

A valid passport is required for travel to Croatia. EU regulations require that U.S. passport holders have no less than three months validity when they depart Croatia.  U.S. passport holders with less than three months will be denied entry.  The U.S. Embassy strongly suggests that you have at least six months validity to avoid problems when you travel.

A visa is not required for U.S. passport holders for temporary tourist and business trips up to 90 days (during a six-month period, starting from the day of the first entry). All foreign citizens must register with local police within 24 hours of arrival. Foreigners staying in hotels or other accommodations through a rental company are automatically registered by the hotelier or the rental company. Foreigners can also register at the local Ministry of Interior (Ministarstvo unutarnjih poslova – MUP) office. In Zagreb, MUP office is located at Petrinjska Street 30, tel. +385 1 4563 111. Failure to register constitutes a misdemeanor and a violator can be fined.

Note: Although Croatia became a member of the European Union (EU) on July 1, 2013, note that it is not yet a member of the Schengen area, and a passport is required for travel between Croatia and other European Union member states. For further details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see the State Department’s Schengen Fact Sheet.

Temporary Residence

U.S. citizens, currently in Croatia, who are intending in staying in Croatia for longer than 90 days must apply for temporary residence permit and should contact the Ministry of Interior minimum 30 days prior to expiration of 90 days.

You can read more about temporary residence of foreigners in Croatia by visiting the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs’s website or the Ministry of Interior’s FAQ website. If in Croatia, you can also visit the nearest police department in your jurisdiction to inquire about your options and how you can apply for a temporary residence permit. You may also wish to contact the Croatian Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs directly at this email adress: stranci@mvep.hr  (general inquiries), or the Ministry of Interior at pitanja@mup.hr or javnost@mup.hr (also general email addresses, gets distributed).

Disclaimer: The U.S. Embassy in Croatia takes no responsibility for the accuracy of information in this guide and recommends that applicants for Croatian visas or residency contact the nearest Croatian Embassy or Consulate or the Croatian Ministry of Interior.