Apply for Your First U.S. Passport (Children)

Consular Report of Birth Abroad & First U.S. Passport for a Minor Child

Please read the directions below very carefully.  If you do not bring the required documentation, we must suspend processing of the application and you will need to schedule another appointment.

Please complete the following documents prior to your appointment:

Please also bring the following documents with you to your appointment:

Note: If your documents are in a language other than English, a certified English translation must be provided.

  • Original Croatian birth certificate, issued by local authorities. This document must show the biological parents’ names. Short form birth certificates, which do not indicate parentage, are not acceptable.
  • Parents’ marriage certificate (if applicable): Original certificate issued by local, state, or national government authorities. If your marriage certificate is in a language other than English, a certified translation must be provided. The original certificate must be presented along with any translation.
  • Divorce decree(s)/death certificate(s) (if applicable): It will be necessary to show termination of all prior marriages for both parents. Please provide certified translations, if appropriate.
  • Evidence of parent’s U.S. citizenship: The U.S. citizen parent(s) must present his/her (their) U.S. passport(s). If the U.S. citizen parent(s) was (were) naturalized he/she (they) must bring the original Certificate of Naturalization in addition to the passport.
  • Passport/identification document for non-U.S. citizen parent (if applicable): A non-U.S. citizen parent must bring his/her passport or other photo identification document.
  • Evidence of physical presence: The U.S. citizen parent must bring proof of living in the United States. Primary evidence documents that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. before the child’s birth include: transcripts from high school and/or college, wage statements, DD214 separation statement (Military Members only). Secondary evidence may include: credit card bills, utility bills, tax forms, airline ticket stubs and boarding passes, former/current passport with entry stamps.
  • Fee:  The fee for a Consular Report of Birth is $100. The fee for a child’s passport under 16 is $115 or $145 for children over 16. Payment may be made in U.S. Dollars, Croatian Kuna or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Diners Club). Personal checks are not accepted.
  • Photos:  One color photo taken within the past 6 months, 2″ x 2″ (5 cm x 5 cm) size with white or off-white background. Digital photos are not generally acceptable. There is a photo machine in the waiting room of the consular section which can take photos for a fee of 40 Kuna (payable in Kuna only).