How can I renew my adult passport by mail?
You can renew your U.S. passport by mail if you answer ‘yes’ to ALL 5 statements below:
- You have your passport in your possession to submit with your application
- Your current passport is undamaged (other than normal wear and tear)
- Your current passport was issued when you were age 16 or older (10 year passport validity)
- Your current passport was issued within the last 16 years
- Your current passport was issued in your name or you can document your name change
If you answered ‘yes’ to ALL 5 statements, you are eligible to apply by mail.
If you do not meet all these requirements, please follow the instructions here.
You are required to submit the following:
- Form DS-82. Complete this online form, print it out, date and sign it.
- Your most recent U.S. passport;
- One U.S. passport sized (2 x 2 inch/5 cm x 5 cm) photograph (taken within the last 6 month, white background without eye glasses);
- If you have changed your name since your previous U.S. passport was issued, you will be required to submit evidence of your name change, such as marriage certificate, change of name document or court order – original documents and 1 photocopy;
- Printout of your online payment confirmation email.
Incomplete, unsigned or incorrect applications will not be accepted and will delay processing.
Social Security Number:
Effective October 1, 2016, all passport applications MUST include a social security number.
Apply for a Social Security Number before submitting your application or submit a signed written statement under penalty of perjury:
Don’t know if you have a number or number unknown?: Apply for a replacement card. Click here for further instructions.
U.S. passport photo requirements are different to Swiss and European photo requirements. Please take the time to read the following as we will only accept photographs that meet U.S. passport photo specifications. The dimensions are the same for passport application forms DS-11, DS-82, and DS-5504.
Your passport photo must be:
- In color;
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper;
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size;
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. Eye height is between 1 1/8 inches to 1 3/8 inches (28 mm – 35 mm) from the bottom of the photo;
- Taken within the last 6 months;
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background;
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera;
- Taken with a neutral facial expression (preferred) or a natural smile, and with both eyes open;
- Taken in normal street attire (uniforms should not be worn). Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose;
- Taken without glasses;
- Taken so there are no distracting shadows on the face or background.
Photos Printed at Home:
If you choose to submit photos printed at home, they must meet the requirements as listed above or they will be rejected. Some printers will produce an unacceptable photograph in which dots are seen, or the image is grainy. Acceptable photographs are printed on high-quality photographic paper, have a continuous tone image that is very photo-like, and show the subject clearly in focus. Please also make sure they are 2×2 inches in size.
Fee – Online Payment
Pay the $130 passport application fee via the PAY.GOV – U.S. government’s secure payment site.
Do not send money or checks!
Print the electronic confirmation you receive via e-mail after successfully paying the fee and include it in the package you send to the embassy.
The Passport fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.
Submit your application
Mail your complete package to the embassy:
U.S. Embassy Zagreb
Thomasa Jeffersona 2
Processing time: 2-3 weeks.
Passport Pass-back Options
Once you receive an email from our office that your passport is ready for pick up, you can come at a designated times and collect your passport. Parents can do this for their children as well. Should you wish to have someone else collect your passport, please send us an email authorizing the collection with the full name of a person who will be collecting your passport.
Return by Local Post Office
If you wish to have your new passport mailed back to you, please include a sufficiently stamped addressed padded envelope (Croatian Post registered mail, 3 Euro in postal stamps) with your application. IMPORTANT: Please, do not send the money for the postage. Please note that we can offer this option within Croatia only.