Event: International commercial flight options currently exist in Croatia, but they are severely limited. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements immediately unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not currently anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Croatia at this time.
Please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security and health updates.
Flight Availability: Only the Zagreb airport is currently open, and it has one daily flight. Croatian Airlines operates the daily flight to Frankfurt; Frankfurt airport has onward flights to the United States. Croatian Airlines’ website currently announces outbound flights roughly 48-72 hours in advance.
If you are outside the City of Zagreb and have questions about transiting to the Zagreb airport due to the current intercity travel ban, please contact the U.S. Embassy.
Extension of Stay: U.S. citizens who are unable to leave Croatia within the permitted 90 days of visa-free status should register with their local police station in order to avoid overstay penalties. Please visit the Ministry of Interior website for contact details by county.
Movement Restrictions: The government of Croatia has prohibited intercity travel and has implemented extensive social distancing measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Visit the COVID-19 website of the Croatian Government for additional information on these measures or contact the COVID-19 call center by dialing 113 from a Croatian phone. Please also visit the U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 webpage for the latest information.
Although intercity travel is banned, some exceptions do exist. Please see the Croatian Government’s guidance on the types of travel allowed and where to get the corresponding travel pass.
Entrance Restrictions: Croatia has barred admission to all travelers except Croatian citizens and residents returning home, foreign citizens departing to their home countries, diplomats, law enforcement, medical workers, controlled shipments of goods, and others on a case by case basis.
Global Health and Travel Advisories: The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Croatia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Zagreb, Croatia
Ulica Thomasa Jeffersona 2
10010 Zagreb, Croatia
Email address: ZagrebACS@state.gov
Embassy Zagreb website
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444