An official website of the United States government

Entry and Residence Requirements
Information about entry rules and stay requirements for U.S. citizens traveling to Croatia.

Before you travel

Check that you passport is valid before you travel to the Schengen Area and that you have not reported it lost or stolen. Travelers who arrive to the Schengen Area with a passport they previously reported as lost or stolen may be denied entry.

October 17, 2023

Short Trips for Business or Tourism

Croatia is a member of the Schengen Area. For further details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see the State Department’s Schengen Fact Sheet.

A valid passport is required for travel to Croatia. Schengen regulations require that U.S. passport holders have at least three (3) months validity remaining on their passport after their anticipated date of departure from the Schengen Area.  U.S. passport holders who do not meet this requirement may be prevented from boarding a flight or denied entry into the EU/Schengen area.

A visa is not required for U.S. passport holders for temporary tourist and business trips up to 90 days (during a six-month period, starting from the day of the first entry). Time spent in any of the Schengen countries counts towards the total 90 days in Schengen.  All foreign citizens must register with local police within 24 hours of arrival. Foreigners staying in hotels or other accommodations through a rental company are automatically registered by the hotelier or the rental company. Foreigners can also register at the local Ministry of Interior office. In Zagreb, the office is located at Petrinjska 30, phone +385 1 4563 111. Failure to register constitutes a misdemeanor and a violator can be fined.

Digital Nomad Visa

Please review the following detailed Government of Croatia information on the Croatian Digital Nomad visa.

Temporary Residence

Please visit the Ministry of Interior Affairs website for detailed information about temporary residency for foreigners in Croatia. If you are already in Croatia, you may visit the nearest police department to inquire about your options and the application process for a temporary residence permit. You may also email the Ministry of Interior at pitanja@mup.hr.

U.S. citizens, currently in Croatia, who wish to stay in Croatia for longer than 90 days must apply for a temporary residence permit and should contact the Ministry of Interior at least 30 days prior to the expiration of the 90-day visa-free stay.

What will I need?

When applying for a temporary residence permit in Croatia, including the Digital Nomad visa, you may be asked by the Croatian authorities to provide a range of documents such as your birth certificate, your marriage certificate, a divorce decree, a criminal background check, etc.

Criminal Background Check

Please visit the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website for instructions on how to request a criminal background check (Identity History Summary Check). Note that it is much easier to obtain this background check while you are in the United States.


The U.S. Embassy in Zagreb does not provide fingerprinting services.

Before you can submit the request to the FBI, you will need to provide your fingerprints on the FBI fingerprint form. Please note that fingerprinting services in Croatia are extremely limited. If you are in Croatia, you can print a fingerprint card (see instructions on the FBI website ) and take it to the Croatian police headquarters in the county where you applied for a residence permit for fingerprinting services. A prior appointment may be necessary. Should the police be unable to assist, you can also contact a local private detective agency for fingerprints assistance.

Disclaimer: The U.S. Embassy in Croatia takes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information in this guide and recommends that applicants for Croatian visas or residency contact the nearest Croatian Embassy or Consulate or the Croatian Ministry of Interior.