An official website of the United States government

December 29, 2022


My passport was lost or stolen, and I need it for immediate travel

If your passport is stolen, you are advised to report the theft to the local Croatian police in the area where it occurred. To replace the passport, you must appear personally at the Embassy. You should submit your application for a replacement passport as soon as possible after the loss or theft is discovered.

How do I apply for an emergency passport if my passport was lost or stolen?

Call us to make an appointment. We can be reached at +385-1-661-2300 from Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 4:30 PM and/or email us at ZagrebACS@state.gov.

You will need to bring the following to your appointment:

  • Completed passport application DS-11 (Please do not sign the application, you will be asked to do that in front of a consular officer).
  • Statement for Lost/Stolen passport DS-64
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship: Certified birth certificate; or Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship.
  • Proof of identity: Driver license; or State or other photo ID card.
  • Photos: Please submit one color photo taken within the past 6 months, 2″ X 2″ (5 cm x 5 cm) size with white or off-white background and no eyewear. Digital photos are not generally acceptable. There is a photo machine in the waiting room of the Consular Section which can take photos for a fee of 10 Euro (payable in Euro only).

Fee: The fee for an adult passport is $165, the fee for a minor passport is $135. Payment may be made in U.S. Dollars, Euro or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Diners Club). Personal checks are not accepted.


My passport expired and I need to travel

If you are traveling within 10 calendar days, and you can demonstrate that this travel is an emergency, you may apply for an emergency limited-validity passport. Same-day issuance is available for applications that are complete and straightforward. In some cases, we may be required to refer to the Department of State and passport issuance will take longer. Emergency passport applications must be made in person by the applicant and require an appointment in advance. Please send us an email at ZagrebACS@state.gov to advise of your urgency of travel and to receive the passport instructions.

What should I do after I have traveled on my emergency passport?

When your emergency travel has been completed, your next course of action will depend on where you live. If you live in Croatia, you will complete an application for a full-validity passport and submit it while you are at your appointment at the Embassy. If you live outside Croatia, you can submit your application for a full-validity passport to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you reside, or if in the United States, your local Passport Agency. There will be no additional cost if you apply within one year of limited-validity passport issuance, provided you do not have a history of more than one passport loss within the last 10 years. If the emergency passport is lost or you apply for a full-validity passport after one year of emergency passport issuance, passport application fees must be paid again.