An official website of the United States government

Emergency Financial Assistance
February 21, 2024

How We Can Help You

If you are a U.S. citizen in Croatia and you are temporarily destitute because of unforeseen circumstances, in some situations we can assist you financially to return to the United States. If you believe you are destitute and are unable to get funds from friends, family, or your employer, please

  • Contact the American Citizens Services Unit through the: U.S. Citizens Services Navigator (Google Forms), or by calling +385-1-661-2300 (during business hours) or +385-1-661-2200 (after hours), or
  • The State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 (during business hours) or 202-647-5225 (after hours).

We can help you contact family, bank, or employer to arrange for transfer of funds. In some cases, these funds can be wired through the Department of State. For information on how a consular officer can help under these circumstances, click here.

How You Can Have Money Transferred to You

Fund transfers from the U.S. are typically straightforward. Most people can arrange for family or friends to send them money through commercial channels with the help of a collect phone call.  Funds sent through services such as Western Union are the fastest and easiest. Although there is a mechanism for transferring funds through the Department of State, it is slower and more complex than through commercial channels in a country like Croatia.

What if You Have an Emergency?

If you find yourself in an emergency situation where you have no access to funds ( e.g.- lost or stolen wallet and or/ID) or are experiencing a medical emergency and have no one in Croatia to provide support, please contact the American Citizens Services Unit through the: U.S. Citizens Services Navigator (Google Forms) immediately for further guidance or call +385 1 661 2300 (during business hours) or +385 1 661 2200 (after hours).