U.S Drivers Licenses in Croatia
U.S. Embassies and consulates do not issue or renew U.S. driver’s licenses. Contact your state directly for information on how to renew a license or apply for a new one. Information is also available online at https://www.usa.gov/motor-vehicle-services.
An international driver’s license is valid only when used in conjunction with a valid license from the U.S. It must be obtained in the U.S., prior to travel.
According to Croatian law, U.S. citizens in Croatia for tourism or business may use a U.S. driver’s license for up to three months, the same amount of time that U.S. citizens in the country for tourism or business may visit visa-free.
U.S. citizens in Croatia with an approved temporary or permanent residence may continue to use a U.S. driver’s license for up to twelve months, after which a Croatian driver’s license must be obtained.
Croatian driver’s licenses can be obtained at the local police station where the U.S. citizen is registered for extended or permanent stay. For more information, see https://mup.gov.hr/vozacka-dozvola-332/332. (hrvatski)
The following documents must be submitted when applying for a Croatian driver’s license:
- Original U.S. driver’s license (Note: the U.S. driver’s license is not returned to the applicant but is kept at the local police station; however, Croatian law says that “for legitimate reasons” the foreign driver’s license can be returned to the applicant.)
- Translation of the driver’s license indicating the category of license.
- Doctor’s affidavit, not older than six months, stipulating the applicant’s mental and physical ability to drive a motor vehicle.
- Two photographs, 30×35 mm
- Form No. 2 (also available on-line at http://policija.hr/mup.hr/UserDocsImages/voz.pdf (PDF 84 KB) (hrvatski))
- Fee in the amount of 70,00 KN (revenue stamp) and 35,00 KN (fee)