An official website of the United States government

CRBA and First U.S. Passport for a Minor
Consular Report of Birth Abroad and First U.S. Passport for a Minor Child
December 29, 2022

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

You may apply simultaneously for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and first-time U.S. passport for a minor child.  CRBA and passport services are offered by appointment only.  The child must be present at the interview.

Please carefully read the directions below.  If you do not bring the required documentation to your appointment, we must suspend processing of the application and you will need to schedule another appointment.

  • DS-2029 Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (PDF 420 KB). Please type the data into the form and then print.  Do not sign the form until you are at the Embassy. It must be signed in the presence of the consular officer.
    • Note: If the child was born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father and a non-U.S. citizen mother, and the father is not present for the application, he should complete DS-5507 Affidavit of Physical Presence or Residence, Parentage, and Support and sign in the presence of a consular officer or U.S. notary.
    • The name of the applicant on a CRBA application should match applicant’s name on his birth document(s).
  • Supporting documentation: All documents must be originals. If your documents are in a language other than English, a certified English translation must be provided.  International birth and marriage certificates are accepted.
    • Original Croatian birth certificate, issued by local authorities. This document must show the names of the biological parents. Short form birth certificates, which do not indicate parentage, are not acceptable.
    • Parents’ marriage certificate (if applicable): Original certificate issued by local, state, or national government authorities. If your marriage certificate is in a language other than English, a certified translation must be provided in additional to the original certificate.
    • Divorce decree/death certificate (if applicable): It is necessary to show termination of all prior marriages for both parents. Please provide certified translations, if applicable.
    • Evidence of the U.S. citizenship of the parent(s), such as a U.S. passport or original U.S. naturalization certificate.
    • Passport/Photo ID for non-U.S. citizen parent (if applicable): A non-U.S. citizen parent must bring his/her passport or other photo identification document.
    • Evidence of physical presence in the U.S.: The U.S. citizen parent must bring proof of living in the United States prior to the child’s birth. Evidence could include school transcripts, employment records, bank records showing monthly transactions in the U.S., military records, or other evidence.
    • Fee: The fee for a Consular Report of Birth is $100. Payment may be made in U.S. dollars, Euro or by credit card.

Additional Requirements to apply for the U.S. Passport:

  • Application for Passport, Form DS-11: Please do not sign the application for your child, you will be asked to do so in front of a consular officer.
  • If both parents or guardians are unable to appear in person with the child, Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) must be submitted by the absent parent.
  • Fee:  The fee for a child’s passport is $135 for children under 16 or $165 for children over 16. Payment may be made in U.S. dollars, Euro or by credit card.
  • Photos:  One color photo taken within the past 6 months, 2″ x 2″ (5 cm x 5 cm) size with white or off-white background. Digital photos are not generally acceptable. There is a photo machine in the waiting room of the consular section which can take photos for a fee of 10 Euro (payable in Euro only).