Apply Now: Study of the U.S. Institutes Program For Scholars
Study of the U.S. Institutes for Scholars (SUSIs) are intensive post-graduate level academic programs that provide foreign university faculty and other scholars the opportunity to deepen their understanding of U.S. society, culture, values, and institutions. The program goal is to strengthen curricula and to enhance the quality of teaching about the United States in academic institutions abroad.
Study of the U.S. Institutes for Scholars will take place at various colleges, universities, and academic institutions throughout the United States over the course of five-to-six weeks beginning in or after June 2023. Each Institute includes a four-week academic residency component and, if possible, up to two weeks of an integrated study tour to another region of the United States. For more details please visit exchanges.state.gov/susi.
Study of the U.S. Institutes for Scholars comprise the following themes in U.S. Studies: American Politics and Political Thought; Contemporary American Literature; Journalism and Media; U.S. Culture, Identity, and Society; U.S. Economics and Sustainable Development; and U.S. Foreign Policy.
- J-1 visa support;
- A pre-departure orientation held in participant’s home country;
- Round-trip airfare to and within the U.S.;
- Housing (generally shared with other program fellows);
- Accident and sickness medical insurance coverage (does not cover pre-existing conditions);
- An allowance for meals and incidentals during the academic program.
Candidate description and qualifications
- Candidates should be mid-career (at least seven or more years of full-time, relevant employment), highly-motivated, experienced scholars and professionals generally from institutions of higher education or research focused organizations (not-for-profits, think tanks, etc.);
- Eligible candidates must have graduate degrees and have substantial knowledge of the thematic area of the Institute or a related field;
- Candidates must demonstrate English language fluency. Institutes are rigorous and demanding programs; participants will be expected to handle substantial reading assignments in English and to fully and actively participate in all seminar and panel discussions;
- Priority will be given to candidates who have firm plans to enhance, update or develop courses and/or educational materials with a U.S. studies focus or component; who have no prior or limited experience in the United States; and who have special interest in the program subject areas as demonstrated through past scholarship, accomplishments, and professional duties.
Program Requirements and Restrictions
All participants are expected to participate fully in the program. The Institute is not a research program. Participants must attend all lectures and organized activities and complete assigned readings. Family members and/or friends may not accompany participants on any part of the program. Please note that Institute curriculum will not formally address teaching methodology and pedagogical methods.
Study of the U.S. Institutes for Scholars will take place at various colleges, universities, and academic institutions throughout the United States over the course of six weeks beginning in or after June 2023.
Should health, safety, and travel conditions continue to pose significant challenges, the SUSI will pivot to a 36-hours virtual format.
Application Components and Submission
A completed application consists of the following:
- Application form – download here
- A copy of your passport
A completed application package must be sent to FulbrightCroatia@state.gov by midnight (local time in Croatia) on December 1, 2022.
Incomplete applications will NOT be considered. Answer all questions as fully as possible. On this note, if you decide to send scan of your application, check to make sure the scans are legible – if you cannot read them, we will not be able to read them.
Please email your questions to: FulbrightCroatia@state.gov with “SUSI for Scholars” in the subject line of all emails.
Application Deadline: midnight Croatian time, December 1, 2022